Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Putting your money where your mouth is

I've always said that my one beef with political commentators like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Al Franken is that they talk a great game but don't have the guts to really give politics a shot. They have the bravery of being out of range, as Roger Waters would say.

However, that changed today as Al Franken announced he will run for the U.S. Senate against fellow Minnesotan Norm Coleman in the '08 election.

Franken's announcement came on the final day of his radio show on Air America. The former "Saturday Night Live" performer's celebrity instantly makes him a heavyweight contender and brings national attention to the Minnesota race.

"Minnesotans have a right to be skeptical about whether I'm ready for this challenge, and to wonder how seriously I would take the responsibility that I'm asking you to give me," Franken said in a video clip posted on his Web site.


Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with the guy's political stance or his opinions on nearly everything, however, it takes a lot of guts to throw your hat in the ring these days. He will be publicly eviscerated by the media and his political enemies before the votes are finally counted. He'll have to endure a sizable pay cut too, as he's quitting his radio show on the liberal Air America network.

And, of course, he'll have to make good on whatever promises he's about to make. Oh wait, never mind - politicians rarely ever do that.

No comments: