Monday, February 26, 2007

Go ahead and price yourselves out of existence

The U.S. Postal Service is debating the idea of creating a 'forever stamp' that would be purchased at today's postage rates but would be honored forever in spite of any future rate increases.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The next hike in postage rates could be ameliorated by the introduction of a "forever" stamp that would cover first-class postage despite future increases.

The independent Postal Regulatory Commission scheduled a Monday morning briefing to announce its ruling on the Postal Service's requests to raise first-class rates 3 cents to 42 cents and to establish the permanent stamp.


I don't know about you, but I rarely use snail-mail for anything these days. I pay my bills almost entirely online. In fact, the only things I've mailed recently are my gas bill (a small, local gas company that hasn't caught wind of the web yet) and my mortgage (a large international bank that has no nose either). Truth be told, I bought a full sheet of stamps over two months ago and more than a third of them are left.

Someday soon, that little box at the end of my driveway will become another outdoor flower garden for my wife to fill with geraniums.

No comments: