Thursday, December 21, 2006

Back to the peanut farm, Mr. Carter

I've been toying with the idea of writing a book for a number of years. Of course, my book is going to be a work of fiction, which releases me from the burden of having to prove that I know what I'm talking about.

It appears that I'll be in good company because the world, it seems, is full of fiction writers, including our own former president, Jimmy Carter. However, Alan Dershowitz has very little good to say about Mr. Carter's latest work of fiction Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid.

Carter's book has been condemned as "moronic" (Slate), "anti-historical" (The Washington Post), "laughable" (San Francisco Chronicle), and riddled with errors and bias in reviews across the country.


Of course, Carter's book wasn't meant to be a work of fiction. It appears that he believes every single word that he's printed between the covers. I haven't read it myself and I'm no scholar on the subject, so my opinion is worth less than $0.02. But from an outsider's perspective, it appears that the naysayers are outnumbering his supporters.

People used to laugh at Ronald Reagan and say that he suffered from some sort of dementia toward the end of his presidency. Maybe Mr. Carter is having the same sort of problem now. There are those who thought he'd cracked up in holding the Camp David Accords in '78. Maybe the book's shortcomings can back that up.

I don't think we'll really know unless Mr. Dershowitz gets his shot at a debate. I really would like to hear from someone with some real knowledge on the subject.

No comments: